A pool shock treatment involves super chlorinating a pool for a short period of time.

Owning a pool is one of the greater luxuries in life, no matter what cool design you have. Every time you get sick of the heat, you can just go out in your backyard and take a dip in the pool! There is truly nothing more relaxing. However, something to remember is that pools require regular maintenance . If you neglect this maintenance, such as skimming the pool and cleaning the pool filter, your pool can become dirty and unsanitary.

While most pool owners own the proper pool equipment and are familiar with basic maintenance, few give their pools a shock treatment as often as they should. A pool shock treatment involves super chlorinating a pool for a short period of time. Typically, three to five times the amount of chlorine is added to the pool in a shock treatment to ensure that the pool is not only visibly clean, but also free from any invisible bacteria. Here are three signs that it’s time to give your beloved pool a shock treatment:

Algae: Algae tends to form on the sides, surface, and bottom of a pool if there has been a recent storm, if the pool sits in little sunlight, if lawn chemicals have gotten into the pool, or if no pool maintenance has been performed recently.

Bacteria: Bacteria, which is invisible, can form in your pool over time if it hasn’t been properly and consistently maintained. When animal hair, dirt, and other debris are left to sit in a pool for too long, they can attract bacteria. This bacterium can make you and your family sick if you swim in the bacteria-ridden pool.

Cloudy Water: If your pool water is cloudy, do not jump in. The water may not be clear because of recent heavy rains or poor water circulation, but one thing is for sure: cloudy or murky pool water is unsafe.

Shock treatments are a crucial part of regular pool maintenance. In general, you should give your pool a shock treatment once every month, unless you have perfect and consistent PH levels. You can have as much pool equipment as you like, but unless you routinely perform a shock treatment on your pool, it won’t meet sanitation standards. No one likes swimming in a dirty pool.