Available in both liquid and granular form, pool shock is used to kill bacteria and the algae that turns pools green. It also helps to maintain the correct chemical balance in your pool.

Pool shock treatments are essential for pool cleaning and maintenance and should be used regularly in summer to keep the pool clean. However, shock should also be used immediately after a situation that promotes algae and bacteria growth – such as rain or many people using the pool on a hot day.

When and how often to shock your pool

  • The treatment works best in overcast weather – but not when it is raining!
  • In sunny, hot weather – apply the shock in the late afternoon as sunshine inhibits the action of the chlorine.
  • DO NOT apply when people are swimming, or about to swim.

To maintain a clean pool:

  • Apply shock treatment every two weeks if your pool is in use.
  • You can do it more often if necessary, but no more than once a week.

For emergency pool cleaning, shock your pool:

  • When you remove the winter cover to get the pool ready
  • After heavy rain
  • At the end of the day when many people have been swimming.
  • In the evenings after a very hot sunny day (when bacteria flourish)
  • If there is too much chlorine.
  • Although shock is also a chlorine, it is formulated to oxidise chloramines – the chemical by-products of everyday chlorine pool cleaners. (You’ll know if there are too many chloramines in the water as they cause irritated red eyes and turn blonde hair green.)

How to apply the shock treatment to your pool

1. Make sure the filter is running to circulate the water
2. Pour the shock treatment into the water – all the way around near the edge of the pool.
3. Do not swim for at least 24 hours as the concentrated chlorine will irritate skin and eyes
4. Keep the filter running for the full treatment time to ensure the chlorine dissipates to a safe level.

Happy swimming is your sparkling blue pool!